Here are Google’s leadership evaluation questions:
- My manager gives me actionable feedback that helps me improve my performance.
- My manager does not “micromanage” (get involved in details that should be handled at other levels).
- My manager shows consideration for me as a person.
- The actions of my manager show that he/she values the perspective I bring to the team, even if it is different from his/her own.
- My manager keeps the team focused on our priority results/deliverables.
- My manager regularly shares relevant information from his/her manager and senior leaders.
- My manager has had a meaningful discussion with me about career development in the past six months.
- My manager communicates clear goals for our team.
- My manager has the technical expertise (e.g., coding in Tech, selling in Global Business, accounting in Finance) required to effectively manage me.
- I would recommend my manager to other Googlers.
- I am satisfied with my manager’s overall performance as a manager.
Then Google employees are asked to complete two other questions:
12. What would you recommend your manager keep doing?
13. What would you have your manager change?
Notice that only one question, No. 9, asks employees to rate their manager’s hard skills.
The Best Managers Are Those Who Help Their Teams Succeed
The evaluation spends almost no time assessing a manager’s knowledge, skill, and experience. All but one question focuses on soft skills: communication, feedback, coaching, teamwork, respect, and consideration.
What you know matters, but communicating, delegating, creating a sense of autonomy and purpose…that matters a lot more.
Granted, you could argue that possessing superb technical skills is less important for Google’s team managers; after all, it’s easier for Google to recruit and retain incredibly skilled people than it is for many companies.
But that argument misses the larger point. While most employees need some degree of training early on, the emphasis soon shifts from what they know to how they use their knowledge and skills.
For example, take question No. 2: “Does my team leader micromanage?” Just about every task has a best practice, so most leaders implement and enforce processes and procedures. For employees, though, engagement and satisfaction are largely based on autonomy and independence.
I care the most when it’s “mine.” I care the most when I feel I have the responsibility and authority not just to do what I’m told, but to do what is right.
Good leaders establish standards and guidelines and then give their employees the autonomy and independence to work the way they work best within those guidelines.
Datum Recruitment Services, is an Executive Search Firm; We specialise in recruiting for Africa and Middle East markets
If you have any immediate roles to work, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org
more about us on www.datum-recruitment.com
Datum Recruitment Services, is an Executive Search Firm, and we mainly recruit for mid and Senior level roles for our esteemed clients in India and International market
The below mentioned requirement is from a very esteemed client, a leisure hotel for various locations, if you match the criteria, kindly forward your cvs to email@example.com
- Manager – IT, A Leisure Hotel, Agra
- BE (Computer Science or equivalent) or MCA or
BSc or MSc (Computer Science) from a reputed institution
- Minimum 6 – 10 years of IT experience in Hospitality domain with proven knowledge of hotel operations and hospitality technologies. This will include a minimum of 4 years of experience as IT Manager.
- BE (Computer Science or equivalent) or MCA or BSc or MSc (Computer Science) from a reputed institution
- Sr. IT Executive, Chennai & Amritsar
- PG Diploma in IT along with Graduation or BSc (Comp Science) or BCA
- 3-4 years of experience in Hotels IT support and services
- Jr. IT Executive , IT Graduate with 1-2 years of
- Work locations: Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Jaipur
The candidates with experience from hotel industry would be preferred
The candidate must have Working knowledge of Hospitality software applications (PMS/ CRS/ S&C/ POS/ Back Office ERP – Financial Accounting, Material Management, Payroll, etc.), hardware and interfaces.
Pl email your cvs with specific position on subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
More about us on www.datum-recruitment.com